The Consulate General of India has a public library consisting of a collection of over seven thousand books on arts, business, children’s literature, culture, history, religion, (Buddhism, Christian, Hinduism, Islam etc.) sociology, world affairs, and fiction mostly emphasizing on India. It also receives a number of newspapers and periodicals. The Library which was inaugurated in May, 2011 has a active membership of 900 members and has received more than 11000 visitors till date.
The library also has a good collection of books on Buddhism, Myanmar, and Myanmar-India relations. It enriches with the materials of most recent information and events on India from all aspects such as politics, economics, education, socialization etc. Hence it is the most reliable source for those who are in need of information or knowledge about India.
The library is open on all days except National holidays as listed in our website
(10 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
For more information and request for membership of the library, please feel free to contact the librarian,Tel. No. 80355 ext. 106 during library hours.
Rules for Membership
- Two References.
- Photocopy of the references NRC card / passport.
- Two recent passport sizes photographs of the applicant.
- Photocopy of NRC (Nat. Reg. Card) / FRC/ ID card/Passport of the applicant.
Annual service fee of 4000 Kyats per year
Applications may be submitted on Mon., Wed. & Fridays only
Membership is valid for one year only, starting from the date issue of the membership card.
Membership will need to be renewed annually.
10.00 A.M to 4 P.M.
Closed on Embassy’s holidays.
Rules for Library Members
- 2 books may be borrowed for 1 week
- A fine of 50 kyats per day per book will be charged for overdue books
- Books may be renewed if there are no reservations for those books. Renewal may be made in person only.
- Reservation may be made at the library counter.
- Members will not be able to borrow new books, until they return their overdue books.
- Reference books and newspaper are not for loan.
- Books must be handled with care
- Any loss or damage of books will be charged twice the cost of book.
- A fine of 2000 kyats will be levied for loss of membership card / borrower’s card.
- Borrower’s cards are not transferable.
Please bring your membership card and borrower’s card whenever you visit the library.
Click on the following link to download: Library Membership Application Form